Tuesday, June 5, 2012

Quick update! I am feeling better. Thank you for your prayers and support, I can only begin to see how much I am learning about myself, God, and cultures. This week is dispensary which means pharmacy!! I have never really thought of being a pharmicist. Some of you might know I really don't believe in taking a lot of pills so I am very slow to take a pill for anything. However, there are times when they are very important. I am able to help fill prescriptions right off of the doctor's notes in a patient's folder. Of course, the pharmacy workers always double check my work before the patient receives the pills. Sometimes when we are less busy, I call the patient to the window, and explain their pills to them. The people here are so kind because often I do a terrible job with their name, and then they still listen to my rusty Twi as I say simple things such as. Bagko anopa, bagko awia, bagko ayunume. (one morning, one afternoon, one evening). However, my counting skills are improving this week in Twi so that is a plus! The people in pharmacy are really a joy to work with. They are very patient with me which I cannot thank them enough for. They also talk about different aspects of Ghanaian and American culture with me, and I love hearing their opinion on American things such as celebrities, the president, and sports. There really isn't a huge love of American football outside of America, but I bet most of you would have trouble remembering that in 2010 Ghana defeated the U.S. in soccer (except I know Kayla would know that if she is reading this. :)) They are pretty proud of this fact, and the fact they beat us once in South America, which I never was aware of until now. Today in dispensary I was able to use one of those pill counting things to fill bags with 30 fersolate pills (given to pregnant women). I have always wanted to do that, and I enjoyed every minute of it. Most days a majority of the pills are p'mol, fersolate, and folic acid for pregnant women or Malaria pills. I have been able to see more antibiotics go out now. This often happens with hernia surgeries as a good preventative measure, and I saw a very minimal amount of antibiotics for a respiratory and one ear infection. I went over to maternity to see a friend, and I was able to hold a one hour old baby and bring him to his mother after she returned to the ward. I know this is a small deal, but I was extremely happy to do this small deed.  A huge dream of mine is to witness some childbirths here, and today I came one step closer. That is all I really have to share. I am going to try and find my laundry. It rained like crazy today, and now Theresa and I are trying to figure out where my clothes went. Don't worry, I am sure they are in a very good location. Then I need to go and make some pizza dough so we can share some pizza with our friends later this week. Yesterday I made guacomole for Charles and Constance who are the ones who make the homemade fufu. They do not have such a thing here, but they said it was good once they got over the fact it was a smashed avocado rather than a nice and firm one. :)
I will say I miss the pool this week. It is supposed to open on Saturday, and I have thought of the possibility of a new pool back when I would come to the pool as a kid. I hope everything is going well, and the facility is able to fulfill its purposes. No one here knows how to swim, which makes sense because there isn't a lot of water besides what pours from the sky.
PS The moon here was very full last night, and I love looking at it as it is the same one back at home.
God is Love,
Abby

No comments:

Post a Comment