Friday, May 18, 2012

Hello!
This is my very first post from Ghana! Gretchen and I were able to meet in Chicago at the airport. We bonded over some Burrito Beach which of course included guacomole, and I am so excited to get to know her better-she is wonderful, and we are quite similar in many ways. :) What a blessing! After flying overnight from Chicago to London, we spent a few busy hours in London first on a bus, then going through customs, and finally buying a camera card since I forgot one at home. I cannot say that it was easy for me to sleep on the red-eye flight, but by the time we flew from London to Accra I was falling asleep reading. When we arrived at the airport we were hit with a wave of humidity. Gretchen and I stuck together, and were met with a greeting card that said: MR ABBY GRETCHEN. From there Monica, an airport worker, guided us through customs which was a blessing, and we met Dr. John's son, Kwama outside. Kwama brought us back to their home in Accra which is a very beautiful lime green stucco home. We slept in until 11:15 am, Kwama had set breakfast out before work of eggs, muffins (which he admitted were from the bakery), coffee, and beans. After work Kwama took us out to a restaurant right on the ocean. Needless to say, I gasped when first seeing the ocean, because of course that is always a winner with me. :) The resturaunt was a hotel/spa place and we sat right next to the ocean so we could smell the salt and watch crabs walking on the poles in the water. My mother would be very proud to know I ordered tilapia and bunka. When my plate arrived so did the entire tilapia, but I did a very good job (according to Kwama) of eating the meet from one side, and flipping it over to do the same. It was very good! (I took a picture before and after.)The bunka is kinda like corn dough that you then dip in sauces that were hot. :) The waitress brought our a bowl and soap for me to wash my hands, but Kwama said I could just use my knife and fork instead.
Tomorrow after Gretchen and I do some shopping for food to bring to the village, we will be flying from Accra to Kumasi, where Dr. John will pick us up. We have talked to Dr. John on the phone a few times, and we are excited to meet him! So far Gretchen and I are doing well, and we really don't feel like we are in Africa too much, but we are excited for all of the possibilities of things we might be doing. Prayer requests would be for safe travels through the airports again tomorrow, and continued health as we adjust our diets.
I will try to blog again soon, probably after we are settled in Kasei. The local time here is 8:19 pm, but I am already tired! I must transition from late nights to early nights, and earlier mornings. :) Plus, Gretchen is waiting to use the computer. Hope all is well for everyone. If you would like to get a hold of me, I am communicating via facebook and my email address: abbyjh3@gmail.com. God Bless!

No comments:

Post a Comment